Sitemap submission to Yahoo was previously done using Yahoo Site Explorer but just last year on 21 Nov 2011 Yahoo completed algorithmic transition to Bing. Yahoo merged site explorer into Bing Webmaster Tools with a partnership contract. From then onwards webmasters were requested to submit sitemaps to Bing in order to expect quality traffic from both yahoo and Bing. Site Explorer was launched in 2005 by Tim Mayer and it was a pretty handy tool to keep a close watch on how your site was performing at yahoo search engine. You could get detailed info on how many sites were linking you and could also count the total number of internal links within your site. But since now Yahoo has joined hands with Bing search engine by Microsoft, our job becomes even more easy, because submitting your blog at Bing will set it live at two search engines, i.e. both Bing and yahoo. Previously MSN did not required sitemap and you only needed to submit your link to them by pinging them but with the replacement of MSN search engine by latest BING, Microsoft is now openly following Google's footsteps.
This is part2 of our series.
Submit Your Blog URL To BING and YAHOO
Follow these easy steps:
- Log into Bing Webmaster Tools using your hotmail account
- Once logged in you will see a dashboard with several options. Click the button " Add Site" next to "Remove site button".
3. Submit your URL.
4. Click Submit. Now you will be asked to verify if you are the true owner of the website or blog you submitted. You will be provided three standard methods. Choose the second option which is "Copy and paste a tag in your default webpage" Click option:2
5. You will be given a short HTML code. Simply copy it and paste the code just below <head> inside your blogger template. To do this go to:
- Blogger > Design > Edit HTML > Backup your template
- Search for <head>
- Just below it paste the code you got from BING
- Save your template. All done!
6. Now go back to BING webmaster page and click the "Verify" Button. If you pasted the code correctly then your sitemap will be successfully added to the list.
7. Normally it should take at most 3 days for BING and YAHOO to start showing data for your newly submitted site but it can even take 5 days. So be patient and expect your blog links appearing in BING and YAHOO search engines within 3-5 days.
You will then be able to track organic traffic to your blogs via your webmaster account which is almost similar to Google Webmaster tools account. You can find who is linking and what posts are trending high and a lot more!
Ping Yahoo and Bing
Sometimes you want to inform about a quick update at your blog to Bing and Yahoo, so that they may send crawlers to index your newly added content before time. Don't ping search engines too frequently for it can be taken as overloading the servers which can even get you penalized from search listings. Do it only when you feel that your links are not appearing at Yahoo and Bing page.
Just after blog submission you may also ping the search engines to draw more attention.
- From the links below , replace www.mybloggertricks.com with your blogspot links or custom domain links. (Example: zailab.blogspot.com or www.zailab.com)
- Paste the following links in your browser address bar one at a time and hit enter. You will see a message "Thanks for submitting your sitemap." indicating that you have successfully pinged Bing.
LINK#1 For Posts between 1-500
LINK#2 For Posts between 5001-1000
LINK#3 For Posts between 1001-1500
You don't need to do this. Pinging bing will do the job
Test to see if your links are appearing
Simply paste your latest post URL inside Bing and Yahoo and see if your blog is appearing in the search results. If it did then say bingo and chill but if it did not then there could be two reasons:
- You need to wait for at most 5 days after first submission of your Blog
- You blog has no sufficient posts. Your blog must contain at least 15 posts
Solution: If despite waiting for 5 days, your links are still not showing up at Yahoo and Bing then do this:
- PING them again and wait for a day. If things did not work then try step#2 below
- Remove your Site from BING webmaster tools and resubmit it.
- PING them just after blog submission.
I have explained the steps based on latest updates related to sitemap submission. You should apply this new method even if you have submitted your bogs to site explorer before 2011. I hope you found this part of the series useful. Stay tuned for more. Peace and blessings pals! :)
If you don't want to get yourself into Serious Technical Trouble while editing your Blog Template then just sit back and relax and let us do the Job for you at a fairly reasonable cost. Submit your order details by Clicking Here »